- 6 small pamphlet or any other white fish
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon ajwain (carom)
- 1\4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- Clean the fish but leave the heads and tails on. Wash the fish thoroughly the inside and outside of the fish. Slash in 3-4 places on both sides.
- Mix lemon juice and half the salt together and rub on both sides of the fish. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the marinade. In a bowl, mix well the garlic paste, ginger paste, ajwain, turmeric, chili powder, remaining salt, garam masala and 2 table spoons of lemon juice.
- Place the fish in a flat dish, pour the marinade over it and rub it well into the cuts. Cover and leave to marinate for about 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Pierce each fish with a large metal skewer. Brush on both sides with some oil and barbecue over live charcoal for about 15 minutes. If barbecue is not possible, it can be grilled or baked uncovered in a oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- Turn the fish once during cooking and keep brushing with oil to prevent burning.