Masala Dosa – How to make Masala Dosa
- 1 cup plain rice.
- 1 cup parboiled rice.
- 1/4 cup white urad dal.
- 1/2 tsp. methi (fenugreek) seeds
- 1 /2 tsp soda bi carbonate
- 1/2 cup curds the batter.
- 10-12 tsps. ghee
- or oil as preferred
- water for grinding
- For masala:
- 2 large onions in vertical slices 2 large potatoes boiled and peeled 4-5 green chillies 1 tbsp. Chopped coriander 8-10 cashews halved 1/2 tsp. Each urad dal, cumin & mustard seeds 2 tbsp. Oil 1/4 tsp. Turmeric salt to taste
- Wash the rice and dal together. Add plenty of water and methi seeds. Allow to soak for 7- 8 hours or overnight. Re wash the rice by draining the water 2-3 times. Grind to a paste.
- Rawa-like grains should be felt in
- Add soda bicarb and salt and mix well. Keep aside in a warm place for 8-10 hours. Beat the curds well. Add to the batter, add more water if required. The consistency of the batter should be enough to thickly coat on a spoon when dipped.
- Heat the iron griddle or non-stick tawa well. Pour a spoonful of batter in the center, spread .with the back of the spoon to a thin round. Pour a tsp. Of ghee or oil over it. Spread chutney spread over dosa.
- Place a tbsp. Masala in the center. Fold into triangle to cover masala. Remove with spatula when crisp. Serve hot with chutney and/or sambar. Chop potatoes coarsely. Chop green chillies. Heat oil, add cashews and brown lightly.
- Add dal, seeds and splutter. Add chillies and onions. Fry till tender. Add turmeric, salt, potatoes, coriander. Mix well.